Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Advertisement for Undergraduate Research Assistants


My name is Stefan Popp, I am a PhD student working on ant search behavior with Dr. Anna Dornhaus and
I am currently looking for two reliable undergraduate research assistants who will join my small team to help me with processing data from my experiments.
I let ants explore a large arena and automatically video track them to get their trajectories over multiple hours.
Your tasks would be to clean and process these data in a MATLAB based pipeline I wrote. This mainly involves interacting with plots of the trajectories and running code.
No coding knowledge necessary.
You will be part of a strong research lab with excellent mentoring and learn tons about science and programming, and potentially get a strong reference.

Conditions: you must...
- have at least 10/week free to dedicate to working with me
- have at least 1 year until graduation
- sign up for 3 credits of independent study or similar
- attend lab meetings if your schedule allows (Wed 2p)

If you meet the above conditions, please reply (to popp@email.arizona.edu) with:
- name & major
- the number of credits you're currently enrolled with
- your year of study
- plans for after graduation
- why you want this research experience (the shorter the better)
- experience with R or MATLAB, stats if any
- times you'd be free for an instructional meeting (I prefer afternoons except Wednesdays)

I learned from past experiences that while many students perform good work, they cannot invest enough time into work to offset the time I invest in training them.
Thus, after our first meeting you will enter a trial week in which you just have to proof (also to yourself!) that you can work 10h/week.

I am looking forward to working with you!

Cheers,
Stefan
---------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment