Monday, April 3, 2017

Project SOAR: HED 350 Tier 2 Gen Ed with 100% Engagement Attributes!



Dear Wildcats!
Enroll in HED 350 and share your college experiences with middle school students in Tucson!  This course is a Tier 2 General Education course and qualifies for the 100% Engagement Designation on your transcript.
Please view this link for a short video made by one of our SOAR Mentors:  https://www.facebook.com/UAProjectSOAR/videos/1253855057988942/
Higher Education 350: STUDENT OUTREACH, ACCESS, & RESILIENCY IN EDUCATION - Mondays & Wednesdays 3-4:15pm
This course will introduce students to the role of individual, cultural, social and environmental factors that affect student academic achievement and the path to higher education in the United States. Students will be exposed to literature and discussions that will allow them to analyze the major theories and research conducted in the areas of college access, outreach, academic achievement, and resiliency.
The Service-Learning component of this course (known as Project SOAR) exposes students to these various factors first-hand as they serve as mentors to students at middle schools in Tucson. Students will bring their experience back to the classroom to enhance and refine their understanding of the course topics, and provide a local angle on the theories and literature discussed in-class.
 
Project SOAR mentors said:
Best part about mentoring was
            ...working with my buddy who didn’t speak English. Breaking the language barrier was a great experience.
            ...seeing the smiles and joy from the mentees when we arrived on campus.
            ...being able to make a difference in their lives.
            ...each of my mentees now has college aspirations and a brighter view of what college has to offer them.
            ...I truly believe that this program has helped me just as much—if not more—than helping the students that I worked with. 
“My relationship with my mentee is the most important thing I gained from this experience...it is incredible to feel that you can make a difference.”
“My dream career is still to be a teacher. This class has only reinforced my want to be a teacher that makes a difference and advocates for the students. As a future teacher, I hope to incorporate my students’ lives into the classroom and
provide ways for them to connect and get excited about learning.”

Mentees said:
“Thank you for helping me with my homework and just talking to me.”
“Thank you for helping me pick a school.”
“Thank you for mentoring me and talking to me about college.”
  

If you have any questions please email me at mairwin@arizona.edu 

Looking forward to meeting you next semester!
Stop by my office in Education 303 if you have any questions!!

Mary Irwin, PhD
Director, Project SOAR
Assistant Professor of Practice
Educational Policy Studies & Practice
College of Education, Rm. 303 – University of Arizona

No comments:

Post a Comment